47 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Sell Faster
Throughout the House:
- Open the draperies, pull up the shades, and let in the sunlight.
- Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
- Remove clutter from each room to visually engage them.
- If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
- Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
- Replace the carpet if it does not lean up well.
- Have a family "game plan" to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
- Air out your home for one-half hour before showings, if possible
- Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
- Put family photos in storage.
- Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
- Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
- Putty over and plaint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
- Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look larger.
- Repair or replace any loose or damaged wall paper.
- Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
- Wash all windows inside and out.
- Use plants in transitional areas of your house.
- Make the most of your attic's potential.
- Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
- Remove and or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
- Remove all smoke and pet odors.
- Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen:
- Microwave a small dish of vanilla 20 minutes before a showing and place it in an out-ofthe way place.
- Highlight an eat-in area of your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
- The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly cleaned.
- Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
In the bedroom:
- Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
- Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in neutral scheme.
- Make sure that beds are made, and the linens are clean.
- Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathrooms:
- Do not leave towels lying around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
- Re-Caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white.
- Repair or replace broken tiles in tub/shower.
- Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
- Put out fresh towels and decorate soaps.
- Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
- Use flowers and plants to dress up the yard, walkway, and patio.
- Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
- Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patio's, and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept, and in good condition.
- Paint all the entrance doors.
- Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
- Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers, etc.)
- Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
- Use a new doormat.
- Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
- Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.